The complexities of French life can be baffling.
We can all appreciate the landscape, the cuisine and the winsome old towns - many of us will even learn the language - but really getting to grips with the French psyche, with the nuances and codes of French life and culture, is less easy.
Speak the Culture: France, provides the reader with an amusing and thorough fast-track to that understanding.
It prepares you for immersion in French life whether you're in France as a new resident, traveller or language learner, or you're simply a Francophile sitting at home in the armchair, dreaming about the Gallic good life.
* Discover how nature, history and language shaped modern France
* Meet the great French writers and thinkers
* Get to know world famous artists and architects, their paintings and buildings
* Learn who's who in French music, theatre and comedy
* Discover the legendary French filmmakers and their films
* Find out why regional food and wine are so important to the French
* Unravel religion, sport, education and the media
Thorogood Publishing are giving away two copies of Speak the Culture: France.
To enter please leave a message in the comment form below, for example 'please enter me into the competition', but make sure your email address is correct, and just one entry per email address.
Two messages will be picked at random each winning a copy of the book. Closing date for the competition is Friday, April 16, 2010 at 11am Paris time.
THE COMPETITION HAS NOW CLOSED