SO in just one year what did president Obama receive from the then French president, Nicolas Sarkozy, by way of official gifts?
Well how about a Hermes golf bag, valued at $7,750, a pair of Baccarat crystal table lamps on silver pedestals, value $5,500, or a Louis Vuitton business bag embossed with 'B.O.', valued at $2,310.
These are just some of the gifts the US president received in 2011 from Nicolas Sarkozy and Carla Bruni and have come to light after the required publication of gifts that all federal employees in the United States must produce.
In total there was around $40,000 of gifts from Sarkozy that were given to the Obama family, which in the case of US presidents and their families are handed over to the National Archives.
A list of items given by the French president:
- Large, black Hermes golf accessory bag including set of lock and key, and extra strap in bottom compartment, presented in cream coloured drawstring bag
Rec'd – 1/10/2011 Est. Value - $7,750.00
- Lacoste white classic men's polo shirt. Limited-edition “HOPE” fountain pen and
Ligne 8 lighter from S.T. Dupont, each in a cherry blossom design, and contained in a 6.5” x 6.5” black box with “G8 France 2011” on the top.
Bottle of Christian Drouin Pays d'Auge. S.T. Dupont black and silver fountain pen, presented in a 8.5” x 4.5” black case. Six black glass goblets in a plastic display case and contained in a 30” x 18” red box; 14.35” tall blue-gray glass sculpture of Bucephalus, Alexander the Great's horse. Rec'd –5/25/2011 Est. Value - $15,083.62
- Crystal golf statuette by Baccarat, depicting a golfer with his iron pitched over his head in the moment before striking a ball. Crystal golf statuette by Baccarat, depicting a golfer with his iron out in front in a follow-through posture. Black Hermes golf travel bag with canvas cover and carrying strap. Rec'd –8/1/2011 Est. Value - $1,650.00
- Two 6.5” x 14” Baccarat “Our Fire” clear full-headed crystal table lamps on silver pedestals with silver and crystal lampshades in red presentation box, inscribed
with “Baccarat” on the top. Rec'd –1/10/2011 Est. Value - $5,500.00
- 15” x 12” black leather “Neo Igor” Louis Vuitton men's business bag with luggage tag attached and embossed with “B.O.”. Rec'd –12/13/2011 Est. Value - $2,310.00
- 10.2” x 7.1” Hermes orange cotton canvas travel case. 36” x 60” Hermes cotton terrycloth beach towel, printed with umbrellas and towels beach scene. 7.5” handmade Forge de Laguiole letter opener with wooden handle in 9” brown leather case. Both are enclosed in a 14” x 2.5” x 1.5” black presentation box with Forge de Laguiole printed in white.
It is a special G8 edition with “G8 France 2011, Nouveau Monde, Nouvelles Idees” and shape of the Eiffel Tower engraved. Box of chocolates.
Rec'd –5/25/2011 Est. Value - $1,994.24
- Reusable grocery/tote bag, orange with a large white dandelion on the side; Book and CD, title: “G20,” by Laurence Jenkell. Book, title: “+/-5 Metres: Sos Editions Oceans,” by Joe Bunni. Book, title: “Around the World,” by Laurence Jenkell. 11” x 7.5” x 3” black leather folding toiletry bag, made by Lancel. 200 Euro souvenir “G20” coin, in a blue protected sleeve, and housed inside a small blue packet with “Monnaie de Paris” written in gold on the outside.
Silver watch with black wristband made by B.R.M. 8” x 5” x 1” brown leather woman's wallet with embroidery on the sides made by Lancel. His and hers white, belted Dior bathrobes with "Dior" embroidered on the breast pocket. 8” x 13” x 18” black leather "Gra-Valise Petit Voyage" suitcase made by Lancel; 7” x 12” x 16” brown and orange leather purse with embroidery on the side made by Lancel; 7.5” x 11.5” black leather clutch purse made by Christian Dior.
17” tall Plexiglas sculpture, entitled “Wrapping Flag Candy USA,” depicting an upright “Tootsie Roll” with an American flag patterned wrapper, on a 6” x 6.75” x 0.75” clear Plexiglass base, accompanied by a certificate of authenticity. Box of Duroc Danner chocolates. Perfumes from the town of Grasse. Chateau d'Estoublon olive oil. Men's Dior hygiene products. Rec'd –11/2/2011 Est. Value - $6,191.00
- Three Coffret soaps, 100G, by Frederic Malle. Jurassic flower candle by Frederic
Malle. Cologne Bigarade by Frederic Malle, 250ml. Rec'd –5/25/2011 Est. Value - $435.00
- Set of seven Bonpoint Paris perfume, skincare lotion, and soap products presented in a rectangular zip up white box that says Bonpoint on the inside flap. Rec'd –1/10/2011
Est. Value - $401.00