Travel tips for getting through airports at Christmas
But it is also one of the busiest times of the year for airports, so with tight baggage restrictions and increased security checks, being prepared in advance is sure to help.
One of the first things you can do is arrive at the airport with plenty of time to spare, most airlines will recommend two hours, so make sure there are no traffic problems or check public transport options.
Here are some more tips:
* Pack as much as possible in your checked-in luggage, including presents.
* Once you have checked in, go straight to security.
* If you have to check in online give yourself plenty of time to do so, and be aware of the timeframe your airline stipulates for checking in.
* Remember, you can only take ONE item of hand baggage through security, no larger than 56cm tall, 45cm wide and 25cm deep. Some airlines may only allow smaller bags so check their site.
* Only liquids in bottles smaller than 100ml contained within a small (20cm x 20cm) re-sealable clear plastic bag are allowed within the aircraft cabin. Christmas gifts like bottles of wine, large bottles of perfume and bubble bath must go in the hold.
* All luggage must be available for random inspection. This means that Christmas gifts should NOT be gift wrapped because they may need to be opened.
* Passengers should plan ahead and think about what they want packed in their one item of hand luggage. Pack and prepare your luggage at home before you leave for the airport.
And in these times of heightened security things like Christmas crackers, party poppers and toy guns for presents are most probably best kept clear of any airport terminal building!
If you have any travel tips please feel free to add a comment below.